What Do You Need to Sell Your Car in Detroit?
Tired of staring at your old junker in Detroit, Michigan? Scrap it! It’s easier (and more profitable) than you think. Let Junk Care Medics show you how to handle the paperwork involved. You’ll be surprised how straightforward it is for most vehicle owners.
When the junkyard reps pull up to tow away your clunker, you’ll need:
- Your driver’s license or alternate state-issued identification: This’ll prove you’re not selling someone else’s car. Apparently, the state has trust issues.
- The title to your car: It’s that trust thing again. If you have the title in your name, it’s proof you own the car. Now all you have to do is add some info. This’ll just take a minute.
- On the FRONT, fill out the boxes that say Signature of Seller, Printed Name of Seller, Seller’s Street Address, City, State, and Zip. Put down the odometer reading, too.
- If multiple owners are listed on the title, all of them must supply this information.
- On the BACK, do nothing. That’s just for dealers.
See? You’re done in record time. Kiss your car goodbye, and collect your cash.
What’s that? You’ve lost the vehicle’s title? Are you sure? Go look again, we’ll wait…
Still no luck?
The state of Michigan really wants you to sign over the title when you junk a car. But it’s not so bad. It’s relatively simple and cheap to get a duplicate title. You can apply online or at a Secretary of State branch office.
If you apply online, you’ll need:
- The last four digits of your Social Security number
- Your driver’s license or state-issued ID number
- Your date of birth
- Your eye color (no kidding!)
- $15 fee
If you go to a title service office, it’ll still cost $15. However, for an extra $5 they’ll give it to you right then, no delay.
Clearly it’s easier to junk your car in Michigan if you have all your paperwork in order. If not, let that be an incentive to keep track of your title next time…