How to Transfer a Car Title in Georgia

To introduce a car title in the state of Georgia, it’s a good idea to read these instructions, locate all the appropriate lines on the title, and read any instructions on the title before you start filling in the information. The Georgia Department of Revenue handles motor vehicle transactions and has excellent instructions for signing a car title on its website.

You will write the following information on the back of the Georgia car title near the top.

  1. In the text block that says “Purchaser’s legal name,” the buyer should print their name. Next to that, write in the date the car was sold.
  2. On the next line, the purchaser should print their street address.
  3. The purchaser should print their city, state, and zip code on the next line. Next to that, the seller should print the name of their county.
  4. Write in the current odometer reading in the darker-colored block next to the arrow.
  5. Where it says “Transferor’s (seller’s) printed name,” the person selling the car should sign their name. Under that, they can print their name.
  6. In the right-hand column, where it says “Transferee’s (buyer’s) printed name,” the person buying the car should sign their name. Under that, they can print their name.

For more information about transferring a vehicle in Georgia, visit the Department of Revenue website.

How to Apply for a Replacement Title in Georgia?

Listed below are the three main steps on how to apply for a replacement title in Georgia.

  1. Complete a sign a Tag Application (known as an MV-1 Title Application).
  2. If you have a mutilated/damaged title with you, be sure to bring it.
  3. Pay the $8 replacement title fee.

If you have a lien or security interest on the vehicle, you’ll need a Form T-4 to show who owes and that it has been paid off. The lien information does not need to be listed on the Tag Application, but rather noted in a separate form. Please note that you will not be able to change the name of the title of a deceased person. You’ll need to go through the inheritance laws in your state if you want to claim the vehicle in this situation. If your name has changed since the title was first issued, you must use your new name and attach legal documentation of the name change (e.g., a copy of your marriage license).