How to Transfer a Car Title in Maryland

To introduce a car title in the state of Maryland, it’s a good idea to read these instructions, locate all the appropriate lines on the title, and read any instructions on the title before you start filling in the information.

Turn to the back of your Maryland car title and look at the top.

  1. Enter the name(s) of the buyers on the first line.
  2. On the next line, enter the buyer’s address, including their street address, city, county, state, and zip code.
  3. Enter the vehicle's current mileage in the large reddish block on the left.
  4. In the reddish block to the right, enter the selling price on the top line, followed by the date of sale on the line right under it.
  5. Where it says “Signature of sellers,” the seller should sign their name. Immediately to the right, there is a block where a co-seller can sign their name.
  6. Where it says “Printed name of sellers,” the seller should print their name. Again, there is a block to the right where a second seller can print their name.
  7. On the next line, the buyer should sign their name. There is a block immediately to the right where a co-buyer can sign their name.
  8. The buyer should print their name on the next line. Look to the right for a line where co-buyers can print their names.

For more information about transferring a car title in Maryland, visit the Motor Vehicle Administration website.

How to apply for a Replacement Title in Maryland?

Apply for a replacement title in Maryland if you have lost your original title or it has somehow been altered, destroyed, or mutilated. A duplicate title is requested if you have paid off the lien on the vehicle or if the title is assigned to the wrong owner.

If you're coming back to Maryland from another jurisdiction, a duplicate title is issued if your vehicle was titled previously in Maryland with the same name as the out-of-state title.

Apply for a replacement title through Maryland's website. There is a kiosk in all Full Service and Express Service MVA's where you can request a duplicate title. You must submit a copy of your identification and the Application for Duplicate Certificate of Title (VR-018).