Do you have a car taking up space in your driveway, garage, or maybe even your lawn? I don't mean one of those classic restorations, covered and protected from the elements, adorned with an antique license plate. I mean, those cars that don't run or might be unsafe to drive.
Several factors influence how much junk cars are worth—factors like the curb weight of the car and the current market price for the scrapped metal. What are the reasons to scrap a vehicle?
So, You Want to Scrap Your Vehicle?
Vehicles are scrapped daily across the United States for numerous reasons. For many, scrapped vehicles are taken to a scrapyard that offers same day cash for the pile of junk. You aren't likely to get what the vehicle is worth. Still, you are afforded the opportunity to get an eyesore off of your property.
What are the reasons that people scrap vehicles?
- Your car is not safe for the road – driving your car past its natural expiration date can pose a threat to yourself, your passengers, and others on the roadway.
- Maintenance is getting too expensive – the older your car gets, the more maintenance it will require. Some vehicles have a predisposition to being clunkers from the moment they were manufactured.
- You would rather have cash – one of the biggest reasons people scrap these older vehicles is because they instantly get cash in their pocket. The cash may be a perk in addition to the other reasons for junking a car.
- It is easier and reduces stress – if you have a car sitting around taking up space, scrapping it may be easier and reduce the stress that comes with trying to figure out how to get rid of it.
Common Car Problem Areas
Using websites like repairpal.com and carcomplaints.com can provide you information about the common car problems your vehicle may be prone to. As an example, our lists show many of the early 2000s model Honda cars. These cars were prone to expensive repairs that include transmission rebuilds or replacements and subframe rust. Thousands of complaints have been made about these vehicles.
Honda is not alone in this category. There are many older cars prone to problems involving the transmission, engine, suspension, electrical system, and so much more. Understanding the problems that may be happening with your car can help you determine if it is worth fixing.
Our Top Ten Scrap Car List Across the Country
We have created several top ten lists for states all across the country. We looked at factors such as the common problems with these junked vehicles. We understand that repairs are a big reason for scrapping a vehicle. Sometimes, repair work can cost more than the vehicle is worth.
To help you decide where to junk your vehicle within your state, we looked at the state scrap average per make, model, and year. We didn't stop there. We included up to five major cities and included the scrap pricing for each one based on the make, model, and year of the vehicles.
Currently, we have the following states' data on the top ten junk cars:
- Top Junk Cars in Arizona
- Top Junk Cars in California
- Top Junk Cars in Colorado
- Top Junk Cars in Florida
- Top Junk Cars in Georgia
- Top Junk Cars in Illinois
- Top Junk Cars in Michigan
- Top Junk Cars in Ohio
- Top Junk Cars in Texas
- Top Junk Cars in Wisconsin
Before You Scrap Your Car
When you are looking for a good deal, you often look around to find the best one. Why should scrapping your car be any different? Call the scrapyards within your general area and junkyards nearby to see what kind of rate they can offer you for your car. You don't have to take the first one you are offered either. Make several phone calls and then decide based on the offers you uncover.
We hope that you find our lists beneficial in your quest to scrap your old car. Our information has been researched and gathered to give you accurate data about scrapping your car. Keep in mind that the scrap amount will fluctuate based on conditions like the market for scrap metal. Our amounts may vary because of this.
Thank you for taking the time to use our information to decide your junk car's fate – make sure you shop around and get the best price for your scrap vehicle!