Michigan junk car salvaging is dumping an old car that is wrecked, no longer on the road, beyond repair, or simply needs to be taken to a salvage yard. Michigan junk car salvaging is the act of buying a junk car that has car parts that are sold or recycled. Junk cars in Michigan have functioning car parts to be resold to those who are looking for replacements for such parts. On the other side, any components that aren't usable, be melted down into metal scrap, and then sold to businesses that recycle metal.
Michigan junk car removal is how you get the junk car removed from your property. Michigan junk car removal involves a local tow company removing the junk car with a tow truck or flatbed truck, depending on the condition of the vehicle. Scrapyards in Michigan are capable of dismantling all types of metals and recycling them into useful components.
Junk Car Medics arranges for hassle free junk car removal in Detroit, Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor, Warren, and Sterling Heights as well as 5 other locations throughout Michigan. After entering your information and accepting our instant offer, we work with local towing companies to remove your junk car in Michigan. From there, the junk car goes to a local junk yard or scrap yard, keeping all of the economic benefit of junking cars for cash in the state of Michigan. Salvaging junk cars for cash in Michigan benefits the environment and quality of life.
The state of Michigan calls junk car buyers like Junk Car Medics “Salvage Vehicle Agents.” These companies are licensed by the state of Michigan to purchase, scrap, and sell used parts from junk cars in Michigan. Individuals are not allowed to buy junk cars for cash in Michigan. They are not allowed to sell used parts or sell scrap metal from a junk car. Only individuals acting as employees (or agents) of the licensed company are able to buy junk cars in Michigan.
What is the Michigan Car Wrecking and Disposal Program?
The state of Michigan doesn’t have its own car wrecking and disposal program. In fact, it is more difficult to junk a car in Michigan that some other states, because you absolutely must have a title to recycle a car in Michigan. Michigan doesn’t want junk cars sitting around in their state, but they don’t want to open the door for anyone to illegally sell cars, including but not limited to stolen vehicles.
Michigan does require junk yards to keep meticulous records, including taking identification and contact details at time or purchasing the junk car from an individual. It is illegal to sell used parts unless they are part of a vehicle and the parts are being sold from a junk yard. This is to reduce the number of thefts of catalytic converters.
What are the laws for Michigan Car Recycling Laws?
The laws for junk car recycling in Michigan are very simple and straightforward, but they don’t leave much wiggle room when it comes to titles. Here are the five most important laws regarding selling junk cars for cash in Michigan from the Michigan Vehicle Code Act 300 of 1949.
- You must apply for a salvage or scrap title. When a vehicle in Michigan is declared totaled by an insurance company, or when it costs more than the car is worth to fix, you need to get either a salvage title or a scrap title.
- A salvage title is given when it costs 71% to 91% of the vehicle’s worth to repair. If involved, your insurance company determines this and provides certification of such to the vehicle owner for presentation to the DMV when getting the salvage title. If no insurance company is involved, a vehicle’s owner may self-certify the percentage of damage or repairs.
- A scrap title is given when it costs 91% or more of the vehicle’s value to repair. At this point, the state of Michigan assumes that the vehicle isn’t good for anything but scrap metal.
- Individuals sells a junk car to a junk car buyer in Michigan without a scrap title. Make sure your write “SCRAP” in big block letters at the top of the title. If needed, the junk yard that is the final resting place for the junk vehicle in Michigan applies for the scrap title.
- Individuals cannot buy a junk car for cash in Michigan. Only individuals acting as the employee of a registered Salvage Vehicle Agent, which must be a company in good standing with the state of Michigan. Junk Car Medics ensures that our employees and all junk car buyer locations in Michigan follow these rules exactly.
The bottom line is that you absolutely must have a title to sell a junk car for cash in Michigan. There are no exceptions to this rule.
What are the myths about Junk Car Salvage and Removal in Michigan?
Listed below are the three main myths about junk car salvage and removal in Michigan.
1. You don’t need a title to junk a car for cash in Michigan. You must have a title to junk a car for cash in Michigan. The state gives many options for replacing a title so that you are able to sell your vehicle to a junk car buyer in Michigan. If you are not the owner listed on the current certificate of title and do not have it, you will not be able to junk the car.
2. Sell a junk car on your private property without ownership. Unfortunately, the old adage that possession is 9/10ths of the law is false. You cannot sell a junk car for which you do not hold ownership unless you get a court order transferring ownership based on not being able to locate the owner of the vehicle, and the vehicle having been abandoned for years on the property.
3. Can’t get a junk car removed in Michigan without a title. To get a junk car removed without a title in Michigan by contacting your local police to have the junk car taken into custody and removed if,
- You are not the owner on the current certificate of title AND
- The junk car was abandoned your property AND
- You do not know who the owner is, or do not know how to contact the owner
If all of these statements are true, contact your local police and request that they tow the abandoned vehicle off of your property. They are required to do so within 24 hours, excluding weekends and holidays.
When should you junk your car?
A car needs to be junked in Michigan when it no longer runs or is too expensive to fix compared to its value. Junk cars are not to be left sitting around on the property. Fines are imposed in Michigan as well as penalties from the local government.
For example, the Junk and Inoperable Vehicle Ordinance in Kasson Michigan states that anyone without a junk yard license may not have a junk car on their property. Breaking this law is a civil infraction and comes with costs between $9 and $500. You will be fined $100 for the first offense and $200 for the second offense.
How to Sell Your Junk Car in Michigan?
Listed below are the five main steps on how to sell your junk car Michigan.
- Find a junk car buyer in Michigan in your area or online.
- Get free quotes to determine the value of your junk car in Michigan.
- Accept one offer and schedule free removal of junk cars in Michigan.
- Complete the paperwork, including filing for a Scrap Certificate of Title when required in Michigan.
- Get paid cash for junking your car in Michigan.
That's how to sell junk car for cash.
What are the factors that affect the value of Junk Car in Michigan?
Listed below are the seven main factors that affect the value of junk car in Michigan.
- The vehicle year, make, and model affect the value of a junk car in Michigan.
- The condition of the vehicle and if it is drivable affects the value.
- Whether or not the vehicle’s valuable parts are still intact and in demand in Michigan.
- The vehicle’s weight in scrap metal affects the value.
- Michigan scrap metal prices affects the value.
- Michigan requires a title but there are other ways to verify ownership of a vehicle. However, the value greatly decreases without a title in Michigan.
- The location of your vehicle affects the value in Michigan.
All 7 of those factors greatly impact scrap car prices.
How do you improve the value of your junk car?
To improve the value of your junk car in Michigan do these three things. First, make sure you have the vehicle title. Michigan requires a vehicle title to junk a car. You are be able to junk your car without the title. However, the value of your junk car greatly decreases if you do not have the vehicle title.
Second, shop around and get multiple offers from junk car buyers in Michigan. Different junk car buyers offer different values in Michigan. Lastly, sell when scrap metal prices are high in Michigan. Scrap metal prices are the biggest factor in the value of your junk car in Michigan. Therefore, junking your car when scrap car prices are high in Michigan gets you the best value for your junk car.
How to apply for a Replacement Title in Michigan?
Apply for a replacement title in Michigan online, by mail, or in person at your local Secretary of State location. The Michigan online replacement title service is easy and secure, and the state pushes its use over mailed paper forms.
Listed below are the five main steps on how to apply for a replacement title in Michigan.
- Get your Michigan ID and debit or credit card ready. There is a $15 fee for the duplicate title.
- Visit Michigan.gov/SOS and select Online Services.
- Go to the Vehicle Transactions section.
- Choose “Request a Duplicate Title.”
- Follow the steps as outlined. It only takes a few minutes.
Your title arrives in the mail within about 2 weeks. If you need a title sooner, apply for an Instant duplicate title in person at any Secretary of State office, but it is $5 more than the online service. Print the forms and mail them, but be looking at 2 weeks from the time they are received, which is more like 3 weeks since you put the application in the mail.
If you have a vehicle that has been totaled by an insurance company or that is completely inoperable, you must get a salvage or scrap title.
Listed below are the five main steps on getting a salvage or scrap title in Michigan.
- Gather your documents. Vehicle title, certification verifying vehicle damage or necessary repairs for it to be labeled either salvage or scrap, and a check or money order for the $15 application fee.
- Download, print, and complete the Michigan Salvage or Scrap Title Application.
- Schedule an appointment at your local Secretary of State office or mail it to the Secretary of State.
- Arrive at your appointment a bit early and a representative will help you with the rest of the process.
- It takes 5 days for your request to be processed and your title to be posted in the mail.
If your vehicle’s damage or repairs are more than 91% of the vehicle’s previous value, be issued a scrap title. If it is between 71% and 91% of the junk car’s value in Michigan, it is considered a salvage vehicle instead. Either salvage or scrap titles are used to sell your junk car to a junk car buyer in Michigan.
How to know the value of your Junk Car?
Listed below are ways to know the value of a junk car in Michigan.
|Michigan||Minimum Junk Car Price||Maximum Junk Car Price|
|2003 Buick Lesabre||$255.00||$580.00|
|2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer||$305.00||$510.00|
|2007 Chevrolet Impala||$0.00||$450.00|
|2006 Pontiac Grand Prix||$230.00||$390.00|
|2002 Ford Focus||$390.00||$460.00|
|2002 Ford Escape||$250.00||$330.00|
|2009 Chevrolet Cobalt||$335.00||$505.00|
|2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee||$420.00||$525.00|
|2011 Buick Regal||$0.00||$670.00|
|2016 Chevrolet Cruze||$375.00||$1,975.00|
|2008 Ford Focus||$0.00||$500.00|
|2006 Chevrolet Impala||$290.00||$565.00|
Does Michigan pay more for junk cars than other states?
No, Michigan does not pay more for junk cars than other states. The average amount that junk buyers pay for junk cars in Michigan is $487.74. Prices varies depending on year, make, and model. Comparatively, the national average for junk cars is $622.93. This means that junk cars in Michigan are worth $135.19 less than in other states. States that pay more for junk cars than Michigan include Oklahoma, Missouri, and Ohio.
The states that pay more for junk cars than Michigan are:
Junk Car Salvaging and Removal in Oklahoma for Cash
Junk Car Salvaging and Removal in Missouri for Cash
Junk Car Salvaging and Removal in Ohio for Cash
How many Junk Cars are wrecked a year in Michigan?
366,009 junk cars are recycled a year in Michigan.
Recycle Nation estimates over 12 million cars are recycled in the United States every year. There are 329.5 million people living in the United States and 10,050,000 of those people live in Michigan according to the most recent census data. That makes up 3.05% of the United States population. Therefore, it is estimated that of the 12 million cars that are recycled annually in the United States, 366,009 occur in Michigan.
Does Junk Car Medics salvage cars in Michigan?
Yes, Junk Car Medics salvages cars in Michigan. We have 10 locations to buy your junk car for cash in Michigan. By going to our website and entering your information, instantly matched to the closest Junk Car Medics location near you. Listed below are nine main locations that Junk Car Medics offers to buy junk cars in Michigan.
- Ann Arbor junk car removal and recycle for cash
- Grand Rapids junk car salvaging and recycle for cash
- Sterling Heights junk car wrecking and removal for cash
- Dearborn junk car recycling for cash
- Detroit cash for junk cars
- Kalamazoo auto salvage for cash
- Lansing auto recycling and scrapping for cash
- Southfield junk car scrapping for cash
- Warren junk vehicle salvaging and recycle for cash
Junk Car Medics pays between $40 and $5,570 for junk cars in Michigan.
What are the Best JunkYards in Michigan?
The top three junk yards in Michigan are.
- Taylor’s Auto Salvage. Located near Taylor Michigan, this junk yard proclaims to offer the best prices for used auto parts in a self-serve style. They only have a few reviews on Yelp, but they are all positive. They have a 4.7 rating on Google and they have no reviews that are 100% negative. They buy junk cars for cash in Michigan.
- Michigan’s Auto Recyclers. Formerly Oil City Auto Salvage, this junk yard has been in the area for decades. This is the place to go if you need quality used auto parts in Midland County. Michigan’s Auto Recyclers is said to have the best customer service in the area according to Google reviews. They sell used cars, but there is no indication on their site that they buy junk cars.
- T&M Auto Salvage. This junk yard serves the Canton area by providing affordable used auto parts in Michigan. They have a large auto salvage yard where they source many used auto parts that are hard to find. Some reviewers said that the salesperson even dropped the price seeing that the customer was struggling.
What are the Best Junk Car Buyers in Michigan?
Here are the top three junk car buyers in Michigan.
- Junk Car Medics..Junk Car Medics is one of the most highly respected junk car buyers in Michigan, with nothing but positive reviews. We buy junk cars for cash in Michigan and keep the sale and vehicle in your state. Junk Car Medics gets you the best price available for junk cars in Michigan saving you comparison shopping. We have 10 locations to serve you.
- TK Junk Cars. This junk car buyer has been operating out of Detroit for 18 years. They are highly respected in the area, and they pay good cash for junk cars in Michigan. However, they only take a vehicle if it has a clear, salvage, or scrap title. They accept an old registration, but the title must be valid and list the seller’s name as owner.
- Mr. Lee’s Scrap Car Buyer. This is another junk yard that has been operating as a junk car buyer for many years in the area. Located in White Lake Charter Township, this junk yard gives top dollar for junk cars in the area. Their reviews show excellent customer service and giving fair prices.
How to Choose a Junk Car Buyer in Michigan?
Listed below are the four main ways on how to choose a junk car buyer in Michigan.
- Look for junk car buyers near you. The closer the junk car buyer is to the location of your junk vehicle, the cheaper it is for them to remove and the more cash they can give you for your junk car in Michigan.
- Look at reviews and ratings. Good reviews on Google, Yelp, Facebook, etc. are a good indicator that you are working with a reputable and respected junk car buyer in Michigan. Eliminate any junk car buyers rated 4.5 or lower.
- Compare towing services. Will you be charged for junk car removal in Michigan? How far is the towing company willing to come? Are you within their service area? How much does it cost if you are outside their service area?
- Compare prices. Junk Car Medics compares prices from local junk yards and junk car buyers in Michigan to get you the best price without the homework.
Many junk car buyers in Michigan offer competitive prices and towing services. Your decision likely to come down to customer service.
What to know about Junk Car Industry in Michigan?
According to Statista, there were 3.2 million registered vehicles in Michigan as of 2016, the last reported year. Not all junk cars are registered, so it is difficult to determine how many junk cars are in Michigan.
The law governing junk car buyers in Michigan is very strict. Unlike other states, Michigan does not offer alternatives to selling a junk car without a title. You must have a title to sell your junk car, no matter who you are selling it to. Where as other states that junk cars in the USA are a bit less strict.
Is Junk Car Industry Big in Michigan?
Michigan has famously congested traffic, particularly during rush hour, leading to more auto accidents and more totaled vehicles to be recycled in Michigan. In addition, Detroit has long been the place where automobiles are both born and go to die. The Michigan junk car industry is worth $976 million per year, compared to the national annual revenue of over $32 billion.
What are the necessities to open a Junk Car Facility in Michigan?
All junk car facilities must be located on land that is locally zoned for commercial or industrial space, as appropriate. All companies in Michigan must apply with the IRS for an Employer Identification Number (EIN), as well as register their business with the state for sales and income tax purposes.
Junk yards in Michigan must be completely screened from view of public highways, schools, etc. Michigan junk yards must keep meticulous records and follow other laws and regulations pertaining to environmental waste and other issues.
There are additional requirements to open a junk car facility depending on the activities carried out there:
If you are a junk car buyer in Michigan, you must have a license to be an Auto Salvage Agent to have the right to transport junk vehicles.
If you want to sell used auto parts from a junkyard or buy junk cars strictly for scrap metal, you must have an Auto Salvage license from the Department of State.
How does Michigan define a Junk Vehicle?
Michigan does not define junk vehicle per se, but they do define registered and unregistered abandoned scrap vehicles. An abandoned scrap vehicle is one that is more than 7 years old, has been abandoned on public or private property, and is only good for its value as scrap metal and other recycling.
The definition of junk vehicle is determined by each city, town, or county in Michigan. Different locales have different definitions based on local ordinance regarding storage of such vehicles.
Are Motorcycles, Bicycles and Other Vehicles included for Junk Vehicle Removal in Michigan?
In Michigan, the removal of junk cars does not include motorcycles, bicycles, and other types of vehicles. Junk car removal companies in Michigan only buy cars, trucks, vans, and SUVs.
Is it better to donate your junk car instead of selling in Michigan?
It is better to sell your junk cars instead of donating it in Michigan. If a junk car is donated in Michigan there are likely to be fees that come out of the vehicle’s value. Donating a junk car in Michigan may not get you a tax write-off if you do not itemize your income taxes. If the preference is still to donate a junk car, sell it, and then donate the profits to the charity of choice in Michigan. That gets the highest donation value for your junk car in Michigan.
How to Shield a Junk Vehicle from Public View in Michigan?
Listed below are the three main ways on how to shield a junk vehicle from public view in Michigan.
- House your junk car in the garage. Many municipalities have ordinances that require any junk cars in Michigan to be completely enclosed by a garage. This is the safest bet, even if you have to move your daily driver to the driveway or curb.
- Cover your junk car with a well-fitting tarp. If your junk car in Michigan is completely covered except for the wheels, and all 4 wheels are complete and attached with tires, you might get away with hiding your junk car in this manner without anyone saying anything about it. Make sure the plates (or lack thereof) are covered as well.
- Erect a temporary privacy fence. If you have a fenced enclosure that is at least 6 to 8 feet high and completely shielded from view, you have no obligation to allow anyone access. This is an effective way to hide your junk car from view in Michigan if you are allowed to erect such a fence.
Since you cannot sell a junk car for cash in Michigan without a title, you may need to hide the junk car from public view while you wait to avoid fines and other penalties from your local government.
What is the penalty of Junk Vehicle Law in Michigan?
The junk vehicle and title laws in Michigan are strict. The state of Michigan imposes penalties of up to $1,000, costs between $9 and $500, and order up to 1 year imprisonment. Sometimes prison sentences are suspended with a period of probation and community service.
Information about State of Michigan and Junk Vehicles
Michigan is in the Great Lakes region of the North Central region of the United States. As a peninsula Michigan shares borders with Indiana and Ohio, but is otherwise surrounded by water. The capital of Michigan is Lansing, and Gretchen Whitmer is Michigan’s governor.
There are 9.974 million people in Michigan spread out over 83 counties. The three biggest counties are Wayne County, Oakland County, and Macomb County.
When you consider the automobile manufacturing roots that built Detroit, it makes sense that Michigan’s most common careers revolve around jobs that support those industries. Retail workers are the most common career in Michigan, with office clerks and production workers close behind. Likewise the most manufactured products are in the auto industry, exporting small gas-powered trucks, transmissions, large automobiles, and automotive body parts, etc.
<economic growth and mass>
There are an estimated 5,084,005 vehicles in Michigan. Of those, 8% are junk vehicles. The junk vehicle industry is a large of the total economic mass.
How does the Covid-19 affect the Junk Car Salvage and Removal in Michigan?
There are no longer Covid-19 measures in place in the state of Michigan, but the CDC is still recommending social distancing and wearing masks in tight quarters. Thanks to the pandemic, buying junk cars for cash in Michigan without contact has become commonplace. It has made selling junk cars for cash in Michigan easier and more convenient to schedule. Junk Car Medics makes scheduling your contactless junk car removal in Michigan easy as possible.
What is the importance of Junk Car Salvaging and Removal?
Junk car salvaging and removal in Michigan is extremely important. Every vehicle reaches the end of its life at some point in time. Junk car buyers and removal services in Michigan properly dispose of vehicles in an environmentally friendly way. Car parts are recycled when possible in Michigan. The fluids and chemicals are properly drained so they do not leak into the earth in Michigan. The remaining scrap metal is then crushed and recycled at a metal recycling facility in or near Michigan.
Why chose Junk Car Medics for your Junk Car Salvage and Removal?
Junk Car Medics is the logical choice for your junk car salvage and removal in Michigan. With 10 locations to serve the entire state of Michigan, including Detroit, Grand Rapids, Warren, Sterling Heights, and Ann Arbor, our website is able to instantly match you with a local junk car buyer. Junk Car Medics offers the most cash for junk cars in Michigan. We work with local tow companies and junk yards to keep junk car sales in your local economy while protecting the environment from toxic automobile waste.
Does Michigan still have cash for clunkers?
The Cash for Clunkers program facilitated by the state of Michigan was part of a larger federal effort to get the many junk cars on America’s streets, public and private properties across the nation. That program is now defunct. The funds that supported the Michigan Cash for Clunkers program have long been exhausted, and the state has not put another program in place.